The Brevard County Historical Commission was established by ordinance of the Brevard County Commission to "collect, arrange, record, and preserve historical materials" and to perform other functions such as obtaining narratives of the early pioneers,
marking historical locations throughout the county, and recording historical information.
Regular meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:15 PM in the Genealogy Department on the second floor of the Central Brevard Library in Cocoa. Call the Historical Commission office at (321) 633-1794 for more information.
As described elsewhere on this Web site, the Historical Commission has undertaken a number of projects to carry out its charter, including:
- The publication of an official Brevard County History
- The designation of Historical Landmarks and publication of a pamphlet identifying them
- The preservation on microfilm of early newspapers and maps
- The collection of individual oral histories on video
- The publishing of a journal entitled Indian River Journal