Shelter openings are incident-specific
Never go to a shelter unless local officials have announced it is open. Shelter opening will be announced through local television, radio stations, social media, and the Brevard County Emergency Management Website.
Shelters are designed to house residents of the barrier islands (including Merritt Island), those in low-lying or flood-prone areas, those in mobile/manufactured homes, or those with no other sheltering options.
If you choose to go to a shelter, follow these instructions:
- Stay as calm as possible, and take your disaster supply kit.
- Bring your own cots or sleeping materials.
- Bring changes of clothing, and wear sturdy shoes.
- If you have dietary restrictions, bring food that you will be able to eat.
- Bring what you need to stay comfortable and entertained.
- Not all shelters will have electricity throughout the emergency.